Electrical Outlet Safety

Written by Charles Peacock
Bookmark and Share

If you've ever felt 120 volts of electricity coursing through your body, you know how dangerous a simple home outlet can really be. I was unfortunate enough to experience this once in my life, when I grabbed an electrical cord that had frayed insulation. Since then, I've been keenly aware of safety issues when dealing with electricity and installing electrical outlets.

Electrical Outlet Safety

If you have children in your home, it's extremely important to protect them from electrical shock. Most people don't think about it, but young children actually find themselves face-to-face with electrical outlets far more often than adults, simply because of their height. And for whatever reason, many kids think it's fascinating to stick objects--often metal hair pins or paper clips--into these outlets.

The best way to protect your outlets is to buy plastic clips that fit into your unused sockets. This will make the outlets look far less interesting to your kids, and will make it much harder for them to stick anything in even if they wanted to. If your children are old enough, try to explain to them how dangerous it is for them to play with the outlets.

Another major safety concern with electrical outlets relates to the use (or misuse) of extension cords. Too may people use cheap extension cords to expand the number of available outlets in their rooms. Plugging lots of high-power devices (such as computers or stereos) into cheap extension cords can result in shorted out wires and even electrical fires.


Bookmark and Share