College Grants

Written by Rylee Newton
Bookmark and Share

One of the most popular forms of financial aid for undergraduate college students is the Federal Pell Grant. These grants are issued by the United States Department of Education, and are often paired with other funds to create a complete financial aid package. The first step in finding out if you qualify for one of these grants is filling out a request for federal student aid.

Once you have completed this form the Department of Education determines how much money to award you in the form of a Pell Grant. The maximum awarded to any student in a given year is $4,000. The amount you receive is based on financial need, as well as tuition costs, and full-time or part-time student status.

Federal Grants and Student Aid

If you want to find out if you qualify for grants and other types of assistance, you need to contact the financial aid department for your school. In addition to Pell Grants, some students also qualify for Federal Supplemental Education Grants as well. These grants are awarded on the basis of financial need. Without these grants, some students simply wouldn't have the funds needed to attend four-year universities or participate in other higher education programs.

Students who receive federal grants often qualify for federal work-study programs. These programs provide students with on-campus job opportunities. These positions provide students with additional funds for books, supplies and course fees, and room and board. Students are paid by the hour for their work, and can earn up to a certain net amount every semester or quarter.

Bookmark and Share