Mexican Alcohol

Written by Stacy Chbosky
Bookmark and Share

The most famous Mexican alcohol is tequila. In addition to being the most famous, tequila was also the very first of the Mexican alcohols. Although natives in pre-Hispanic Mexico drank fermented alcoholic beverages, such as a tequila-predecessor called pulque, it wasn't until the conquistadors arrived in the 1520s that they began distilling.

History of the Mexican Alcohol Tequila

Mexican tequila is a fascinating beverage. The beverage is distilled from the Weber blue agave plant. Many people mistakenly assume the agave is a type of cactus, when in fact, it is a member of the lily family. Agaves are succulents which grow best in the soil of Jalisco, one of the 31 states in Mexico.

There are strict legalities surrounding this quintessential Mexican alcohol. First of all, only five of the 31 states are allowed to produce a product called tequila. No country other than Mexico is allowed this right. South Africa and Japan have both fought for the right, and failed.

If a tequila is made from 100 percent blue agave, it must be labeled as such. To be called tequila, a bottle must contain at least 51 percent blue agave-derived liquor. The other 49 percent can be a sugar mixture. Mexicans are extremely proud of their premium blue agave tequilas, and with good reason. Pure tequila is known by experts as one of the most complex, nuanced and sophisticated alcoholic beverages in the world.


Bookmark and Share