Serum Cholesterol

Written by Helen Glenn Court
Bookmark and Share

Serum cholesterol and blood cholesterol are the same thing and refer the cholesterol actively circulating in your bloodstream. As much as 85 percent of this is produced by your liver. The remaining 15 percent comes from the saturated fats in the animal products in your diet—primarily meat, poultry, seafood, whole milk products and egg yolks.

There is a bit of irony in serum cholesterol and this 15 percent attributable to dietary intake. On the one hand, it is possible to eat foods very high in cholesterol yet still have low serum cholesterol levels. On the other, it is possible to have a low dietary intake of foods high in cholesterol yet still have high cholesterol levels. At the same time, it is easy to increase serum cholesterol by a dietary intake very high in saturated fats and dietary cholesterol.

Controlling Serum Cholesterol

Serum cholesterol is affected by a number of factors, among which are diet, exercise, body weight, heredity, age and gender. Some of these you cannot control, some you can, but those you can are decisive. Odds are slim that you will need to increase your serum cholesterol. Low levels, when they occur, are usually indicators of malnutrition. Odds are far better that you will need to decrease it.

Soluble fiber is demonstrated to be very effective in reducing serum cholesterol. The possible downside is that very high levels of fiber can lead, if you have a delicate digestive system, to gastrointestinal upset and therefore are not an ideal treatment. Your physician is the best one to consult for treatment of high, or low, serum cholesterol.


Bookmark and Share