Child Support Order

Written by Jessica Duquette
Bookmark and Share

A child support order comes directly from a judge and usually follows a custody hearing. In the year 2000, 85% of custody hearings resulted in the mother gaining full rights to her children. The other 15% of hearings granted fathers full time custody. The remaining parent is usually ordered by the court to pay child support.

Child Support Order Doesn't Change Visitation

In many of these cases visitation rights are also established. While one order has nothing to do with the other, many parents try to prohibit visitation rights if and when the child support is not paid. Unfortunately state regulations prohibit the custodial parent from terminating visitation based on unpaid child support.

You would think since one parent is not holding up to their financial obligations they should not be allowed to see their children. Unfortunately this is not the case, and visitation rights must be upheld. A child support order is ruled in the best interest of the child, and withholding visitation can only be harmful to a child's upbringing.

Ask for Another Hearing

Third party support agencies can help you recover child support funds, but they can not get involved with visitation issues. If you are having a problem with the visitation schedule as ruled by the judge, then you should set up an appointment for another hearing. By revisiting the issue you can talk to the judge and explain your situation. He or she may then change the initial ruling.


Bookmark and Share