Immigration Help

Written by Patricia Tunstall
Bookmark and Share

Immigration help is available from many sources, beginning with the government and non-governmental organizations in the applicant's home country. Governments and assistance groups stay current on changes in other countries that apply to their own citizens who may be interested in emigrating. Before migrating, non-citizens of the United States should consult a U.S. embassy or consulate in their countries for assistance and information about immigration to America.

In fact, the immigration process is best initiated from the applicant's native country because documents are required that are probably only available there. Overall, it is much easier to apply for immigration to the U.S. from a person's home territory. Overseas embassies and consulates are prepared to offer immigration help to foreign nationals in their homeland, as this is one of their main functions overseas.

Immigration Help in the U.S.

Once in the United States, there are many resources for the visitor who wants to live permanently in this country. The National Customer Service Center (NCSC), an agency of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration (BCIS), has toll-free numbers to call for information or for ordering forms. The NCSC is also online, so services can be obtained electronically.

Immigration attorneys are plentiful, especially in regions that border Mexico, or that lie along the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. The Yellow Pages of any phone book will have listings if legal advice and immigration help are needed. Depending on the native language of the migrant, there are many non-governmental organizations that offer assistance of various kinds to help the migrant and family survive while applying for residency.

Bookmark and Share