Tn Visas

Written by Abby Luttrell
Bookmark and Share

TN visas are special visas available to citizens of NAFTA countries, i.e. Mexico, Canada, and the United States. Under a TN visa, an immigrant from Canada or Mexico can be issued a visa to the United States if they enter the country to work in a professional capacity. These TN visas are available to all countries which have signed the NAFTA agreement.

Who Is Eligible?

In order to be eligible for a TN visa, your job must be on the NAFTA list of approved professions. You must possess the special criteria for that profession. Your prospective employer in the U.S. must require someone in your professional capacity.

Once you are issued a TN visa, your spouse and children are entitled to receive visas also, but they will not be able to work in the United States. And if you enter the United States on a TN visa, you are considered a non-immigrant; in other words, you are a temporary foreign worker for as long as your job lasts.

The best way to obtain a TN visa is to enlist the help of a qualified U.S. immigration attorney. U.S. immigration lawyers can help you decide if the TN visa is the right visa for you, or if you qualify for another kind of work visa, such as the H1B visa. If getting a green card is important to you because you wish permanent residency, your U.S. immigration attorney may decide on a different strategy for immigration and naturalization.

Bookmark and Share