Us Immigration Lawyers

Written by Abby Luttrell
Bookmark and Share

One of the most important reasons to retain one of the many competent and knowledgeable immigration lawyers available is to help you understand what your immigration goals are and how best they can be met. For example, do you want to enter the United States to work or study? Do you want to join a family member? Do you want to apply for permanent residency, or do you wish to stay for a shorter visit?

What Visa Is Right For You?

U.S. immigration lawyers can find the visa that is right for you. For example, there are H1-B visas which are strictly work permits, if you wish to be employed in the United States. The H-4 visa allows a family member of the H1-B employee to also enter the United States. The H-4 visa holder may not work, but can study in the United States as long as their family member has a current H1-B visa.

L-4 visas are given to intra-company transferees. In other words, they work for an overseas company which has a branch or factory as a U.S. affiliate, and they are transferred to work in the United States for the foreign company. These L-4 visa holders have a maximum stay of 5-7 years, and must prove their eligibility by documentation of their specialized knowledge, graduate degree or expertise.

U.S. immigration lawyers can also get you a B-1 or a B-2 visa. These visas are temporary, and will allow you entry into the United States for six months. A B-1 visa holder enters the United States to transact business for a foreign company, and cannot be employed by a United States company. The B-2 visa is issued to their family members.

Bookmark and Share