Legal Advice


Syndicate content

Immigration Law

Written by Laurie Nichol
Bookmark and Share

Immigration law is serious business. If you have questions regarding citizenship and employment legalities, then you should consult an experienced attorney. The most common question posed by new citizens regards bringing relatives into the United States--what the sponsorship guidelines require of them.

Immigration Law and Sponsorship Issues

If you are already a United States citizen, then there are strict guidelines of who you may sponsor. This can include your spouse, your children (of any age or marital status), and your parents and siblings (if you are over 21 years of age). If you have any doubts as to your own sponsorship issues, know how to find a lawyer who can assist you with the immigration technicalities.

If you are the holder of a Green Card in the U.S., then you may fill out a petition form to bring family into the country. In this case, however, only your spouse and unmarried children are eligible. If you wish to help other family members or friends enter the country, you can let them know about other requirements, such as working or studying in the U.S., which may pertain to them.

Immigration law can be confusing at first. And, considering the consequences of a bad move, such as deportation and/or denied citizenship, you'll want to be well-informed. Understanding how to find a lawyer who will best serve you is an easy process--try an online service that can locate lawyer information and details for the best representatives in your area.

Bookmark and Share