Irving, Texas

Written by Patricia Skinner
Bookmark and Share

The area that is now known as Irving, Texas was first settled in the 1850s, with the beginnings of a number of small communities. Irving itself was founded in 1903 as a result of the railroad going through, and those new communities were incorporated into the new town. Named for the writer Washington Irving, in the early 1900s, the town was a cotton growing and farming center.

In those days, farmers would travel into Dallas to sell their goods. By 1920 the population of Irving was still only 357. Defying logic, Irving grew throughout the years of the Depression in the 1930s and by 1950 the population had reached a staggering 2,615. By 1964 the town had its first hospital when the Irving Community hospital opened its doors.

Present-Day Irving Emerges

The present-day Irving bears little resemblance to the original bunch of settlements. To begin with, the Dallas-Forth Worth regional airport lies partly within its boundaries. There are a number of exclusive residential communities, in particular Las Colinas, which is a 7,000-acre community that includes homes, shopping centers, leisure facilities and schools.

With the addition of an arts center and a library, Irving was all set to become the place it is today. It is now a highly desirable place to relocate to, giving such convenient access to Dallas and other centers that form the Dallas Metroplex. It takes mere minutes to reach a local or international airport from anywhere in Irving. If you need to commute to anywhere within the Dallas Metroplex, that too is quick and easy.


Bookmark and Share