Spain Vacation Tours

Written by Helen Glenn Court
Bookmark and Share

The best Spain vacation tours run either six weeks or are shorter, focusing on one of several particular destinations. Spain's 504,788 square kilometers occupy about 85 percent of the Iberian peninsula. (Portugal occupies the remaining 15 percent). Along its north coast is the Atlantic Ocean. To their right (east) are the Pyrenees Mountains and the French border. Along the south coast are the Mediterranean Sea and Gibraltar. To the west is Portugal, a part of Spain until 1294.

The landscape is rich, often rugged, and varied. Whether you're attracted by the Inquisition, the period of Moorish dominance, Francisco Franco's Civil War, or the indomitable spirit of the Basques, you'll need far more than a week or two to explore this wonderful country. Your best bet, in fact, is to focus your Spain vacation tours on an area or a theme. Whet your appetite and come back for more another time.

The Andalucian region to the south--around the Rock of Gibraltar and across Seville, where the Mediterranean sun is warm and the breezes gentle--is popular. There you'll find Moorish monuments, mountainous countryside, and white hill towns. Art-oriented Spain vacation tours will begin with a focus on the Prado's many masterpieces--El Greco, Velasquez, Picasso, and Goya, to name a few--and move on to the Guggenheim Bilbao, and on again.

Spain Vacation Tours: Wining and Dining

Tapas, of course, are appetizers, or a light snack, but not the main Spanish meal. You might wonder, however--as you dine on braised partridge or roasted peppers and mushrooms--about the need for anything else. Whether you're enjoying the light white wines of Galicia that accompany its seafood, or the rich full-bodied reds of the Basque region, the gastronomy of Spain is not to be missed. For the wine and cuisine alone, you'll want to visit again and again.


Bookmark and Share