Collagen is a protein that can repair connective tissues and cartilage, thus playing a part in the strength and appearance of both. Collagen supplements are the most convenient way to ingest collagen – think how difficult it would be to find all those joints and bones! Collagen supplements work by using hydrolyzed collagen protein to help your body build new collagen or maintain existing collagen. But in order to understand how long it will take for different collagen supplements to work, we need to understand how long it takes your body to completely absorb and use the supplements.
How long does it take for collagen supplements to work?
Results depend on the factors you may be looking for. If you are looking for a firming of your skin, results will be seen after 4 weeks. If there is not any noticeable improvement, it is recommended to continue using the collagen supplement until results are visible. Collagen takes time to regenerate the innermost layer of your skin and change its appearance. However, if you are looking for a reduction in wrinkles, it will take about four months to see results. Collagen works best with aging skin but can still improve skin elasticity and relieve dryness. Choosing the right collagen supplement plays an important role in how quickly results can be seen.
- When you are doing collagen for skin, it is wise to consider when results can be expected. There are many factors that go into how long it might take before you see results, but there are some general guidelines that experts usually agree upon. Some of these factors include your age, your weight and the type of collagen being used. As we’ve discussed, it may take a while for collagen to really show on the skin. However, don’t fear! Studies have shown that maximum results will be seen in 12 weeks, with the best results appearing at 6-12 weeks after you’ve started your routine. This just takes consistency and time!
- People with hair loss may take collagen supplements in the hopes of seeing positive results. It is recommended that you take doses of 10-15 mgs per day, or a pill that provides 1,500 mgs per day. Even though there is no general timeline for collagen to work on your hair, it is true that you can significantly improve the quality of your hair after as early as 8 weeks. But the average timeline is about 2-6 months to start seeing noticeable results.
- If you’re like most people, when you first start using collagen to improve joint health, your primary focus will be on your knees and hands. After all, many people experience pain in those areas the most. Now if you’ve found a source of high-quality collagen, one that doesn’t have additives and doesn’t taste unpleasant, then great! Use it regularly, but don’t be surprised that the changes may be quite subtle at first. You might not see an improvement for 1-4 months.
How to use collagen supplements
Researchers suggest that for optimal benefits to your skin, hair, and joints, you should take 10 grams of collagen a day in divided doses. For example, 5 grams in the morning with breakfast and 5 grams at night with dinner. This will ensure you have enough collagen to keep your skin supple and wrinkles at bay while providing you with all the other health benefits associated with good quality collagen. Collagen supplements are food products that were designed for the sole purpose of improving your health. Increasing the collagen levels in your body is an excellent way to promote crumb elasticity and hormone production. Medical research on collagen shows that it’s an efficient source of dietary protein and has been used for hair growth and skin health.
If you want your skin, hair, and nails to look radiant, then start taking collagen supplements. Collagen helps to rebuild skin cells by adding strength to the skin. It also helps to prevent sagging skin and aging, maintaining a healthy-looking appearance for longer. Collagen for hair is even more popular as both men and women can benefit from it, helping to strengthen the hair strand at the core as well as fighting dandruff and hair fall. As we age collagen is particularly beneficial in remedies for arthritis.
Types of collagen supplements
Well, if you’re already in the habit of taking collagen, it might be worth buying gummies to save money and get a little more convenience. If you’re into taking protein shakes all day, it’s probably more convenient to just buy straight-up collagen protein powder. If you want a dose of amino acids that doesn’t taste like animal feed, though, gummies can start to make sense. If you’re not sure which form of collagen is best for your goals, check out our full rundown on the various forms of collagen supplements available so you can find the formula that works for you.
- Powder is a great product for anyone who would like an alternative to pills or capsules. It has the same nutritional benefits as other varieties of collagen, but is absorbed quickly and easily by your body, making it one of the best ways to get an increase of protein from collagen. There’s no one perfect supplement for everyone, but when it comes to collagen powder, you’re generally safe if you’re under sixty, don’t smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol regularly, get enough water and protein in your diet, and treat your body well. If you use it as part of a sound health plan, collagen powder can be very helpful in maintaining a youthful appearance over the course of time. And the better your skin looks now and the longer it stays smooth and firm, the less likely you are to need any sort of collagen fillers down the road.
- Collagen gummies are so convenient; all you have to do is pop them in your mouth and enjoy. You don’t need a blender, or a bowl, or measuring spoons – it’s so easy! But are the benefits really there? Collagen supplements often don’t taste great, so perhaps you’d rather just eat them first thing in the morning, or before bed. While collagen gummies might not be as effective as straight-up gelatin, that doesn’t mean they don’t work. It just means they work a little differently, and in certain situations, that difference can be a major benefit. Gummies aren’t inherently bad, they just aren’t set up to deliver the large doses of collagen that you need. In terms of effectiveness, the thematic differences between them are small and slight. It’s always better to take collagen peptides in a powder or capsule form for best efficacy. It’s not about which form is more effective; it’s about which form delivers more of what you need.
- Since collagen capsules are both convenient and portable, they are great to take with you on your travels. And because they are less viscous than traditional collagen supplements, they’re also easier to swallow. Therefore, they might very well be more effective at reducing the effects of fine lines and wrinkles. There are even some arguments that capsules provide more of a benefit than mixing with hot water or almond milk due to their lower viscosity level. These newer technologies have led to increased popularity among the population; however, this new form of collagen has received some criticism because you may have to take more capsules to get the same amount of collagen as powder or other forms.
- Some may prefer to take a collagen supplement in tablet or powder form, while others might use effective plumping creams on wrinkles, but there is another option — drink it. Scientists have found that collagen water is as effective as other forms of collagen when it comes to promoting healthy joints and reducing wrinkles and sagging skin. Collagen water may appear to be a convenient way to boost collagen intake, but this product is backed by little evidence. The collagen found in collagen water has come into widespread use only recently, raising consumer defenses. Before adding collagen water to your shopping list, make sure you know what you are buying.
On the other hand, others suggest that straight collagen protein powder is not as beneficial to your health or fitness goals as some other versions. In the end, the choice is completely up to you based on your health, especially if pregnant. But regardless of which type of collagen supplement or collagen product is right for you, you can rest assured that they all play a critical role in promoting overall health, boosting your energy and strength, and helping you look and feel younger!