Baby Experiencing Reflux
When your baby does not stop crying, you start thinking about possible reasons for his discomfort. As a breastfeeding mother, you might assume whether your diet is the primary cause of inconsolable crying. So, today we will discuss all the aspects of the breastfeeding diet and how it affects the baby’s health.
Effect of Breastfeeding Diet
There are a lot of speculations about a mother’s diet in breastfeeding. Some experts believe that a mother’s diet has little to no effect on breastmilk, whereas others think there is a strong connection between the two.
However, in any case, there is certainly an influence of a mother’s diet on breastmilk. It is just that some babies are more sensitive, due to which they show stronger reactions to certain foods. In contrast, other babies do not even get bothered by what their mother eats.
Reflux in Babies
It is usual for babies to spit up a little milk after every feed. But if you notice frequent vomiting, discomfort, irritability, and crying, it might be due to acid reflux. It is a severe condition, so you need to pay attention to it and treat it.
It can be caused due to the breastfeeding diet because you consumed something difficult for the baby to digest. So, the breastfeeding diet needs to be monitored regularly.
Foods to Avoid During Breastfeeding
The only way to ease the pain and discomfort of your breastfed baby is to make the required changes in your diet that might cause acid reflux in the baby. A good breastfeeding diet for reflux baby is the only solution. So, now we will discuss some foods that you should avoid during breastfeeding if your baby has acid reflux.
- High-fat food: The first type of food you need to avoid is the one with higher fat content. For example, junk food contains too much fat. You should consume more protein-rich foods that will be beneficial for the baby as well.
- Fruits: Fruits and fruit juice can also be the reason for acid reflux in breastfed babies. Especially the juices of apples, oranges, or other citrus fruits.
- Too many spices in the food: Just like you sometimes suffer from heartburn after eating spicy food, your baby can also face acid reflux from the spices. So, you should avoid eating the food with extra spices.
- Coffee or caffeine: Caffeine is not suitable for babies. It can cause insomnia, restlessness, and even acid reflux in babies. So, you should try to avoid it as much as possible.
- Alcohol: A big no to alcohol as well. You cannot harm the health of your baby by consuming alcohol during breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding Diet for Acid Reflux Baby
If you want to consume the perfect breastfeeding diet for acid reflux baby, you must ensure healthy eating habits. A nutritious and wholesome diet is what you need. Here is a list of some foods that you must include in your diet for a healthy and happy baby:
- Healthy proteins
- Dry fruits
- Regular intake of multivitamins
A mother’s diet undoubtedly has some effect on the breastfed baby’s health. Reflux issues can be quite frustrating for the baby due to which the mother is advised to eat healthy and nutritious foods for her baby’s sake.